* 30g (1oz) butter
* 30g (1oz) flour
* 200ml (7 fl oz) milk
* 150g (5oz) Comté, Emmental or Beaumont cheese, finely grated
* 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or chives
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 3 large eggs, separated
For the sauce
* 1 large plum tomato, cored, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon small capers, rinsed and drained
* 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 4tbsp chopped fresh herbs (a mixture of parsley, chives, tarragon and a little mint)
* Rocket lettuce, for serving
* 8 x 150ml (¼ pint) ramekins generously with butter, with a disc of nonstick baking paper Baseline
1st Set the oven to gas mark 5 or 190 ° C. Heat the butter in a medium frying pan until foamy, and stir the flour into a smooth paste. Cook for one minute, remove from heat and stir gradually into the milk. bring back to the heat and cook, stirring constantly, boil. Reduce heat and simmer for a minute.
2nd Remove the pan from the heat and stir in oz 100 g (3 ½) of the cheese, then the herbs and spices. Beat in egg yolk.
3rd Whisk egg whites to beat in a large bowl until stiff and mix in a quarter of cheese sauce, then fold the rest of the sauce. Spoon into the molds. Bake 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and cool.
4th Run a round-bladed knife around the edges of soufflés, turn it out and remove the paper disc. Place the soufflés lay back on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over.
5th Place the tray in the oven and bake the soufflés for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
6th Meanwhile, mix the ingredients for the sauce.
7th Put the soufflé dishes. Garnish with lettuce leaves. Spoon a little sauce over. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
* Calories 194(kcal)
* Fat 15.0g
* Saturates 7.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.