* 3tbsp olive oil
* 50g/2oz butter
* 2 onions, peeled and sliced
* 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
* 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme and rosemary each
* 1 pumpkin, peeled, cored and diced
* 1 small potato, peeled and diced
* 150ml/5fl oz white wine
* 4 tomatoes, peeled, cored and halved
* 150ml/5fl oz vegetable stock
* 100ml / 3 ½ fl oz double cream
* 200g/7oz goat cheese – cut preferably a nice, solid log goat cheese with rind, sliced
* Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1st Heat the oil and heat the butter in a large over medium heat. Bung in the onions and fry for about 10 minutes or until they are soft.
2nd Stir in the garlic, thyme and rosemary, the pumpkin and yams followed. With salt and plenty of pepper and continue cooking for 15 minutes, stirring often.
3rd Stir in the wine and turn the heat for a few minutes, so the wine reduces by half. Lower the heat, plop in the tomatoes, then gurgling in the stock. Stir gently and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until all veg are nice and soft and cooked to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat the grill.
4th Stir through the cream cheese and place on top of the stew. Pop under the grill until all the cheese has melted and begun to brown.
5th Serve with couscous and a crisp green salad.
This recipe is from Sophie Conran’s Soups and stews made available from Amazon, RPP £ 14.99, currently priced at £ 9.74.
Guideline Daily Amount of 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g of salt.