* 3 / 4 c. Onion, chopped
* 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 1 tsp. Olive oil
* 2 tbsp. Chili powder
* 1 / 2 tsp. Basil
* 1 / 2 tsp. Oregano
* 1 / 2 tsp. Cumin
* 1 1 / 2 c. Zucchini, chopped finely
* 1 / 2 c. yellow squash, chopped finely
* 1 c. Carrots, finely chopped
* 42 ounces canned tomatoes, diced
* 1 can (16 ounces) light red kidney beans, drained
* 2 cans (16 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained
* 8 ounces soy cheddar cheese
1st In a large saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil. Cook soft (several minutes).
2nd Add chili powder, basil, oregano, cumin and the soup pot and mix.
3rd Stir in zucchini, squash and carrots and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
4th Tomatoes and beans.
5th Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 45 minutes or until thick.
6th Before serving, add 1 ounce of soy cheddar cheese on each serving of chili.
Serving size: 1 c. of chili and 1 ounce of cheese
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
19 g protein
4 g fat
0 g Sat Fat
43 g carbohydrates
13 g dietary fiber
0 mg cholesterol
1111 mg sodium
482 mg calcium
3.2 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Rinse the dark red kidney beans thoroughly and use low-sodium tomatoes have to reduce the sodium content.
Freeze leftovers in 1-c. servings to eat at a later date. Do not add cheese before freezing.
Consider sprinkling pepper and more onions on top for added flavor.