* 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
* 1 large or 2 small fennel bulbs, cored and diced finely chopped, plus 2 tablespoons fronds
* 1 cup pearl barley, or short-grain brown rice
* 1 small carrot, finely chopped
* 1 large shallot, finely chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth or “no-chicken” broth
* 1-1 1 / 2 cups water, divided
* 1 / 3 cup dry white wine
* 2 cups frozen French-cut green beans
* 1 / 2 cup grated Parmesan
* 1 / 3 cup pitted oil-cured black olives, coarsely chopped
* 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel
* Freshly ground pepper to taste
They were also
* Barley “Risotto with Asparagus & Shiitake
* Wild Mushroom & Barley Risotto
* Butternut & Barley Pilaf
* Sugar Snap Pea & Barley Salad
* Barley & Wild Rice Pilaf with Pomegranate seeds
* Barley Pilaf with mushrooms, peppers & spinach
* Mushroom Barley Soup
* Winter Squash Risotto
* Cream of Mushroom Soup & Barley
1st Coat a 4-liter or larger casserole dish with cooking spray. Crush fennel seeds with the bottom of a casserole. Combine the fennel seeds, diced fennel, barley (or rice), carrot, shallots and garlic in the bowl. Add the broth, combine 1 cup of water and wine, and stir. Cover and cook until the barley (or rice) is gentle, but pleasant Chewy, and the risotto is thick and creamy, 2 1 / 2 to 3 January / 2 hours on high or low.
2nd let Just before serving, cook cook green beans according to package instructions and drain. Turn the slow cooker. Stir the green beans, Parmesan, olives, lemon peel and pepper into the risotto. If it seems dry, warm the remaining 1 / 2 cup water and stir it into risotto. Serve sprinkled with the chopped fennel fronds.
Tips & Hints
* Make Ahead Tip: Prepare fennel, carrots, shallots and garlic. Combine broth, 1 cup of water and wine. Refrigerate in separate containers up to 1 day.
Per serving: 242 calories, 6 g fat (2 g Sat, 1 g Mono), 9 mg cholesterol, 36 g carbohydrates, 0 g added sugar, 10 g protein, 8 g fiber, 474 mg sodium, 330 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value), Selenium (20% DV), Vitamin C (15% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1 / 2 starch, 1 vegetable dish, 1 fat