* £ 1 broccoli hardened, stems trimmed
* 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 1 tsp dried rosemary
* 4.1 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 5 cups vegetable broth, reduced sodium chicken broth or water
* 8 oz whole grain pasta, such as orecchiette, chiocciole (pictured) or penne
* 1.8 teaspoons salt
* Freshly ground pepper to taste
* 04.01 cup chopped walnuts (see Tip toasted)
They were also
* Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe
* Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe & Chickpeas
* Broccoli Rabe, White Bean & Fontina Pasta
* Pasta with Mushroom-Thyme Ragu
* Pasta with broccoli, tomatoes and anchovy sauce
* Bean Bolognese
* Broccoli florets & Orzo Salad
* Orecchiette alla carrettiera (“Wagon-Style Driver)
* Penne with braised Squash & Greens
1st Cook broccoli florets in a large pot of boiling water until bright green and still crisp, about 1 minute. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Chop coarsely.
2nd Combine oil, garlic, rosemary and crushed red pepper in a large pot, cook, stirring, over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth (or water) and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and broccoli florets. Increase heat to medium high and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 15-18 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3rd Serve in shallow bowls, sprinkled with walnuts.
Tips & Hints
* Tip: To toast chopped walnuts, cook in a small dry pan over medium low heat, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2-4 minutes.
Per serving: 342 calories, 9 g fat (1 g Sat, 3 g mono), 0 mg cholesterol, 56 g carbohydrates, 15 g protein, 9 g fiber, 686 mg sodium, 168 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (175% daily value), Vitamin A (173% dv).
3 carbohydrate serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat