Caramelized Onion Lasagna
* 8 ounces lasagna noodles, preferably whole grain
Caramelized Onion Filling
* 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 3 large sweet onions, cut into thin slices (about 10 cups, kitchen see Tip)
* 4 medium Portobello mushroom caps, gills removed diced (see Tip kitchen),
* 1 / 2 cup red wine
* 1 teaspoon salt
* Freshly ground pepper to taste
Spinach & Cheese Filling
* 4 cups baby spinach
* 2 cups low-fat ricotta
* 1 / 2 cup chopped basil
* 1 / 2 teaspoon salt
White Sauce & Topping
* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
* 2 cups low-fat milk
* 1 / 2 teaspoon salt
* 2 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola
* 1 / 3 cup chopped walnuts
* 04.01 cup chopped basil
They were also
* Caramelized Onion Pizza & Artichoke
* Parsnip, Caramelized Onion & Prune Gratin
* Caramelized Onion Pizza & Olive
* Green beans with caramelized onions Red
* Burgers with caramelized onions
* Beef Burger with caramelized onions
* Porto Bello Paillards with spinach, white beans and caramelized onions
* Coffee-braised pot roast with caramelized onions
* Caramelized Onion & Green Olive Pizza
1st Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook until pasta is not quite al dente, about 2 minutes less than the instructions on the package. Drain the pasta back to give to the pot with cold water.
2nd To prepare onion filling: Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown and very soft, about 25 minutes. (If they start to stick, add water, 1.4 cup at a time to release it and burn yourself.) Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until just softened, about 3 minutes. Add wine and continue cooking 1 teaspoon salt and, until most of the liquid is absorbed, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in pepper.
3rd To prepare spinach filling: Place spinach, ricotta, basil and 1 / 2 teaspoon salt in a food process and processor until smooth.
4th To prepare white sauce: 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir until bubbling, about 30 seconds. Gradually whisk in milk and bring 1 / 2 teaspoon salt to a boil whisking constantly. Cook, whisking, until the sauce the consistency of thick sauce, about 1 minute. Add Gorgonzola and whisk gently until it melts. Remove from heat. (The sauce will continue to thicken as it sits.)
5th To assemble lasagna: Preheat oven to 375 ° F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
6th Drain the pasta and spread on a cloth. Spread 2:01 cup prepared white sauce in the pan. Place a layer of noodles over the sauce. Half of the spinach filling over the noodles and fill type with a third of the onion. 02:01 evenly cup white sauce spread over the onions. Repeat filling with another layer of noodles, the remaining spinach filling, half the remaining onion and half the remaining white sauce. Finally, top with a third layer of noodles, spread the remaining onion filling over the noodles and then spread the remaining white sauce or dollop on top. Sprinkle with walnuts and basil.
7th Bake until hot and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Hints
* Make Ahead Tip: Cover and caramelized onions refrigerate the filling (step 2) for up to 1 day.
* Kitchen Tip: Onions contain a volatile substance called tear gas that reacts with the liquid in your eyes and makes them water. To chop them without crying, try wearing glasses, a candle burns in the vicinity, or cutting them under cold water. Mellow to the bite of a raw onion, enjoy it for one hour in 1 cup cold water 1 / 4 cup vinegar and 1 / 2 teaspoon salt and then rinse thoroughly.
* Kitchen Tip: The dark gills on the underside of a Portobello Mushroom cap are found edible, but a court may turn an unappealing gray / black. Remove the gills with a spoon, if desired.
Per serving: 345 calories, 14 g fat (3 g Sat, 7 grams mono), 9 mg cholesterol, 39 g carbohydrates, 16 g protein, 8 g fiber, 680 mg sodium, 514 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), calcium (16% DV), Vitamin A (15% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1 / 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat, 2 fat