* 1 tablespoon canola oil
* 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
* 4 Portobello mushroom caps, gills removed, chopped
* 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce (see note)
* 1 1 / 4 cups mushroom broth or vegetable broth
* 2 tablespoons dry sherry (see Tip)
* 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce-
* 2 teaspoons brown sugar
* 1 1/2-inch 14-ounce package firm tofu, cut into cubes
* 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts rinsed and coarsely chopped
* 1 tablespoon water
* 1 1 / 2 teaspoon cornstarch
They were also
* Sichuan-Style Tofu with Mushrooms
* Kung Pao Tofu
* Spicy Tofu Hotpot
* Black-Eyed Peas with Greens and Smoked Tofu
* Edamame Lo My
* Asian Coleslaw with Tofu & Shiitake Mushrooms
* Saag Tofu
* Curried Tofu Salad
* Sweet & Sour Tofu
1st Oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and Chile-garlic sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, until most is evaporated the mushroom liquid, 4-6 minutes.
2nd Add broth, sherry, soy sauce, brown sugar, tofu and water chestnuts and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally and keep adjusting the heat as necessary to a simmer to blend flavors for 10 minutes.
3rd Combine water and add cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir the mixture can be in the pot and simmer until the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes.
Tips & Hints
* Note: Chile-garlic sauce (also labeled chili-garlic sauce or paste) is a mix of ground chilies, garlic and vinegar. It can be found in the Asian part of the large supermarkets and keep up to 1 year in the refrigerator.
* Tip: “Cooking Sherry can” with a high salt content. Instead of dry sherry and other fortified wines in your search for wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 181 calories, 8 g fat (1 g Sat, 3 g mono), 0 mg cholesterol, 17 g carbohydrates, 1 g sugar, 11 g protein, 5 g fiber, 545 mg sodium, 599 mg of potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Calcium (22% daily value), Potassium (17% DV), Iron (15% dv).
A carbohydrate serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat, 1 fat