* 4 ounces whole wheat orecchiette or chiocciole (about 1 1 / 2 cups)
* 1 / 2 bunch broccoli, ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
* 3 / 4 cup vegetarian chicken broth (see note)
* 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon pure olive oil
* 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 1 / 2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 / 8 teaspoon dried
* 1 8-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
* 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
* 1.8 teaspoons salt
* 4.1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1st Bring a large pot bring water to a boil. The pasta for 6 minutes. Add broccoli florets and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and broccoli florets are just tender, about 3 minutes more. Drain. Rinse and dry the pot.
2nd Whisk broth and flour in a small bowl. Oil in the saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Whisk in the broth mixture. Bring to a simmer whisking constantly until it thickens. Add chickpeas, vinegar, salt, pepper and the pasta mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through and coated with the sauce, about 2 minutes.
Tips & Hints
* Note: Chicken broth, a vegetarian soup, despite its name, is preferable in some vegetable recipes for its hearty, rich flavor. Sometimes called “no-chicken broth,” it can be found with the soups in the natural food section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 413 Calories, 9 g fat (1 g Sat, 6 g mono), 0 mg cholesterol, 74 g carbohydrates, 22 g protein, 14 g fiber, 655 mg sodium, 448 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (240% daily value), Vitamin A (210% DV), Iron (25% DV), Calcium (20% dv).
3 1 / 2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 1 / 2 vegetables, lean meat a very, 1 1 / 2 fat