* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 / 2 cup whole-wheat flour
* 1 1 / 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon leaves or 1 / 2 teaspoon dried
* 1 / 2 teaspoon salt
* 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
* 04.01 cup extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
* 04.01 cup low-fat plain yogurt
* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
* 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
* 1 1 / 2 cups grated carrots
* 2 tablespoons dry sherry (see Ingredient Note) or rice vinegar, divided
* 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
* 1 / 2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar
* 1 / 2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
* 1 / 2 cup low-fat milk
* 2 large eggs
* 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh tarragon or 3 / 4 teaspoon dried
* 4.1 teaspoons salt
* 1.8 tsp freshly ground pepper
1st Preheat oven to 350 ° F.
2nd To prepare crust: Coat a 9 – to 10-inch tart pan with cooking spray. Place all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, tarragon and 1 / 2 teaspoon salt to combine in a food processor, pulse. Add butter one piece at a time, pulsing once or twice incorporated after each addition until. Add 4.1 cup of oil and 1 / 4 cup of yogurt and pulse just until the dough begins to come together. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan (it will be fragile), spread evenly and press firmly into the ground and the whole way up the sides to form a crust.
3rd Bake until the crust is set but not browned, about 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
4th To prepare filling: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in carrots and 1 tablespoon sherry (or rice vinegar) and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
5th Spread mustard over the crust. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese, then evenly distributed in the mixture of carrot cake base.
6th Whisk 1 / 2 cup yogurt, milk, eggs, tarragon, the remaining 1 tablespoon of sherry (or rice vinegar) 1 / 4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Place the pie on a baking sheet and pour pan in the filling.
7th Bake the pie until the filling is set and the edges are golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or chilled.
Tips & Hints
* Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the crust (step 2), and wrap tightly in the refrigerator for up to three days. Loosely cover and refrigerate the baked cake for up to 1 day. | Equipment: 9 – to 10-inch tart pan (with or without removable bottom)
* Ingredient Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Do not use the “cooking sherry” in many supermarkets, it can be surprisingly high in sodium sold. Instead, purchase dry sherry, sold with other fortified wines in your wine or brandy’s Store.
Per serving: 304 calories, 20 g fat (7 g Sat, 9 gs / w), 75 mg cholesterol, 24 g carbohydrate, 8 g protein, 2 g fiber, 403 mg sodium, 211 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), calcium (16% dv).
1 1 / 2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable dish, 4 fat