* 4.1 cup plain breadcrumbs
* 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
* Fixed a 14-ounce package firm or extra water, tofu, washed packed
* 4.1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 4.1 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
* 04.01 cup grated Parmesan
* 3 / 4 cup prepared marinara sauce, preferably low sodium
* 1 / 2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1st Combine bread crumbs and Italian seasoning in a shallow bowl. Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 steaks and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides of the tofu with garlic powder, salt, and then in the bread crumb mixture Dredge.
2nd Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to release their juices and brown, 4 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl.
3rd Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pan. Add the tofu steaks and cook until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn over and sprinkle with Parmesan. Spoon the mushroom mixture and pour over the tofu marinara over the mushrooms and sprinkle mozzarella on top. Cover and cook until the sauce is hot and the cheese has melted, about 3 minutes. With basil and serve.
Per serving: 262 calories, 16 g fat (5 g Sat, 7 gs / w), 13 mg cholesterol, 15 g carbohydrates, 16 g protein, 3 g fiber, 597 mg sodium, 443 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Calcium (40% daily value), Selenium (15% dv).
A carbohydrate serving
Exchanges: 02.01 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1 / 2 medium fat meat, 2 fat