* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 1 / 2 cups fresh corn kernels (see Tip) or frozen, thawed
* 4 large tomatoes
* 1 1 / 2 cups cooked long grain brown rice (see Tip)
Black * 1 15-ounce can kidney or pinto beans, rinsed
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 1 / 2 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
* 4.1 teaspoons salt
* 1 / 2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* 1 / 3 cup prepared salsa
* 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
* 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
* 2 1 / 2 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
* Lime wedges for garnish
1st Oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and corn, cook stirring, until onion begins brown, about 5 minutes. Roughly chop 1 tomato. Add it to the pan with rice, beans, chili powder, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1 / 4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes cook down, about 5 minutes. let cool slightly.
2nd Roughly chop the remaining 3 tomatoes. Combine with cilantro, salsa and remaining 1 / 2 teaspoon oregano in a medium bowl.
3rd Toss salad in a large bowl with bean mixture, half cup of fresh salsa and cheese 03:02. Serve sprinkled with tortilla chips and remaining cheese, lime wedges and pass the remaining fresh salsa on the table.
Tips & Hints
* Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 cover and reheat in the refrigerator for up to three days, slightly before serving.
* Kitchen Tips: How to remove corn kernels from the flask, was cut an ear of corn on the stalk end and sliced the kernels with a sharp knife.
* To cook rice, bring 1 cup water and cup long grain brown rice 02:01 boil in a small saucepan. Temperature reduce cover, and simmer on the lowest bubble until the water is absorbed and the rice is soft, about 40 minutes. take from the heat and let stand covered, for 10 minutes. Makes 1 1 / 2 cups.
Per serving: 395 calories, 17 g fat (5 g Sat, 5 gs / w), 20 mg cholesterol, 52 g carbohydrates, 0 g sugar, 14 g protein, 9 g fiber, 459 mg sodium, 774 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A & Vitamin C (38% daily value), Calcium & Folate (23% DV), potassium (22% DV), magnesium (21% DV), Calcium (23% DV), Iron (15% dv)
3 carbohydrate serving
Exchanges: 3 1 / 2 starch, 1 vegetable dish, a lean meat, 2 fat