* 1 cup of grains
* 4 cups water or vegetable broth
* 1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
* 1 / 2 cup cashew pieces (other roasted nuts can also be used)
* 1 cup shredded carrot
* 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
* 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 4.1 teaspoons salt
* 4.1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1st Cook barley in gently boiling water or broth in medium saucepan with lid and cook for water has been absorbed (about 45 minutes). Let cool and rinse with cold water and drain well.
2nd cooked in large bowl, combine barley (it’s about 4 cups), chickpeas, nuts, carrots and parsley.
3rd In small bowl, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper combine with a whisk. Drizzle over barley mixture and mix well to coat. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving, if time permits.
Per serving: 230 calories, 7 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 90 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 31 percent.