* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 / 4 cup diced green bell pepper
* 3 / 4 cup chopped sweet onion or mild (if any)
* 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano flakes
* 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 / 2 cup broth (chicken or vegetable broth can be substituted)
* 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
* Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
1st Heat olive oil in medium nonstick pan over medium heat. Add peppers, onions, garlic and oregano and saute mixture for about 5 minutes.
2nd Add 3.2 cup of the beans into the pot. With a potato masher, mash the beans shortly. Stir in the remaining beans, broth, oregano and vinegar. Cover pot and give simmer until the mixture is thick and the flavors blend, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
3rd Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
6 side servings
Per serving: 148 calories, 7 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 5.5 g fat, 0.6 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 400 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 32%.