* 3 cups dry whole wheat bread or whole wheat blend Hörnli
* 1 tablespoon whipped butter
Cup fat-free sour cream * 04.01
* 5 tablespoons Wondra quick-mixing flour
* 1 1 / 2 cups low-fat milk
* 1 1 / 2 cups fat-free half and half
* Salt and pepper to taste
* Pinch cayenne pepper or two
* 3 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1st Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Dente, add the macaroni and cook for 10 minutes or until al, then drain. Measure 6 cups of noodles, then pour give them back in the big pot and set aside.
2nd Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan, then remove it from the heat. Stir in the sour cream and flour to make a paste. Whisk in the milk and half and half, and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat and, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to simmer, stir in salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and stir often until the sauce thickens (about 5 minutes). Whisk in an additional tablespoon of flour if needed for desired thickness.
3rd Remove from the heat, take the sauce, stir the cheese and good (the cheese will melt almost immediately). Pour the cheese sauce in large pot of macaroni and stir to combine.
Per serving: 339 calories, 23 g protein, 42 g carbohydrates, 9.5 g fat, saturated 5.5 g fat, 29 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 320 mg sodium. Calories from fat: is 24%.