* 3 cups cooked pearl barley (cook in chicken stock for color and taste)
* 04:03 sweet or yellow onion, cut into thin slices
* 1 small eggplant, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
* 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (olive oil flavored works well)
* 1 1 / 2 teaspoon Garlic & Herb Mrs. Dash ® (salt-free herb mix)
* Black pepper to taste
* 3 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese (about 3 / 4 cup scrubbed or 4 thin slices)
1st Spoon evenly cooked barley in the bottom of a microwave-safe 9-inch deep dish pie plate (or similar pan). Half of the onion slices evenly on the barley. Layer the eggplant slices on the barley to cover completely.
2nd Drizzle eggplant and rice mixture with the olive oil, then sprinkle the garlic over the top & Herb blend. Spread the remaining onion slices on the top of the eggplant. Cover with a microwave cover and cook on HIGH about 12 minutes (the eggplant should be soft and cooked throughout).
3rd Layer the sliced or grated cheese on top and cook on HIGH, covered or uncovered, for exactly 1 minute longer (just until the cheese has melted nicely).
Per serving: 341 calories, 13 g protein, 52 g carbohydrates, 10 g fat, saturated fat 3.8 g, 15 mg cholesterol, 10 g fiber, 157 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 26%.