For the couscous
* 700ml/1.25 liters vegetable stock
* 350g/12oz couscous
* 1 lemon, grated rind only
* 60ml/4tbsp olive oil
* 50g/2oz flaked almonds, lightly toasted
* Soaked 75g/3oz apricots, chopped
* 45ml/3tbsp sultanas
* 45ml/3tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
* To taste, salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the eggplant:
* 1 large eggplant cut into 2.5 cm / 1 “cubes
* 1 bunch fresh mint, finely chopped
* 2 lemons, juice only
* 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 30ml/2tbsp ground coriander
* 10ml/2tsp peppers
* 10ml/2tsp ground cumin
* 10ml/2tsp ground black pepper
* 5ml/1tsp Cayenne pepper
* 5ml/1tsp Harissa paste
* 2.5-5ml/1/2-1 teaspoon salt
* 60ml/4tbsp olive oil
For the stew:
* 2 onions, sliced
* 30ml/2tbsp olive oil
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 5ml/1tsp peppers
* Pinch of cayenne pepper
* 1 x 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
* 150ml/1/4pt vegetable broth
* 45ml/3tbsp tomato paste
* 1 x 400g/14oz can chickpeas, drained
* 1 bay leaf
* Salt to taste
* 30ml/2tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1st Preheat the oven to 190 ° C/375 ° F/Gas5.
2nd Heat the stock in a large pan, bring to a boil. Pour the couscous and stir in the lemon peel. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 mins.Fluff the couscous with a fork – it should take up most of the liquid.
3rd Drizzle over the olive oil and fold in the almonds, apricots, raisins and parsley.Season season. Cover with foil and bake in the oven, 20 minutes.
4th Remove the foil and fluff up the grains again. Keep warm until needed.
5th Place the eggplant in a shallow type baking dish. Mix together the remaining ingredients and throw the eggplant to cover up. Seal tightly with plastic wrap and let marinate for at least half an hour.
6th Remove the foil and place the marinated eggplant in a preheated oven and cook bake for 30 minutes.
7th For the stew: Fry the onions in oil until soft and golden. Add the garlic and spices, and 2 minutes longer. Add tomatoes and simmer the stock and gently, until well cooked and starting to thicken. Stir in the tomato paste, chick peas and bay leaf. Simmer for 5 minutes more. Season to taste and stir in the chopped parsley.
8th Spread the couscous on a large plate and cups of chickpea stew over the top. Top the stew with fried eggplant and serve.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.