* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 small onion, finely chopped
* 1 clove garlic, chopped
* 225g (8oz) raw beetroot, peeled and finely grated
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground toasted cumin
* 1/4tsp ground cinnamon
* 225g (8oz) fresh, ripe tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
* 250ml (8 fluid ounces) tomato juice
* 1 tablespoon dried tomatoes, chopped finely
* 600ml (1 pint) vegetable stock
* 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* Toasted cumin seeds to serve
* Sour cream or crème fraîche to serve
1st Heat the oil in a heavy heat over low heat. Gently cook the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, then add the beetroot. Sweat gently for another 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, until soft but not browned.
2nd Pour the paste of ground spices, tomatoes, tomato juice and dried tomatoes, then in the. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly, cover, simmer very gently and leave for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Remove from heat.
3rd Blend or process until smooth velvety. Check the seasoning, adding soy sauce to taste, salt and pepper.
4th Serve at room temperature or slightly warm. If you heat the soup, so be careful on low heat. To serve, spoon into bowls and garnish with toasted cumin and a tablespoon of sour cream or crème fraîche.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.