* 600g (1 ¼ lb) pumpkin, peel into 1 cm (½ in section) cubes
* 1 large red onion, peeled and thinly wedges
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 200g (7 oz) pearl barley
* 200g (7 ounces) tenderstem broccoli, chopped into small pieces
* 2 tablespoons maple syrup / honey
* 2 teaspoons coarse-grained mustard
* Juice of ½ lemon
1st Set the oven to gas mark 6 or 200 ° C. Place the pumpkin and red onion wedges in a large roasting pan with the oil. Season, mix well and cook for 30-35 minutes until soft, stir halfway through.
2nd Bring a pot of water to a boil and stir in the barley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes, add the broccoli and add another 5 minutes, until the broccoli is just opened.
3rd Make dressing by whisking give the maple syrup / honey, mustard and lemon juice in a large bowl. Drain the barley and broccoli well and stir it into the dressing into the bowl. Then stir in the fried vegetables and any meat juices. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
* Calories 312(kcal)
* Fat 4.5g
* Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.