* 110g dried chestnuts, soaked for 6-8 hours
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1 tsp / 5 ml dried rosemary
* 210ml vegetarian / vegan red wine
* 300 ml vegetable / vegan broth or water
* 25g butter or margarine, soy
* 8 small pickling onions or shallots, peeled
* 110g chestnut mushrooms, wiped
* 50g mushrooms, wiped
* 10ml Dijon mustard
* 30-45ml soy sauce or tamari
* Freshly ground black pepper
* Fresh parsley, finely chopped
* 225g vegetarian / vegan puff pastry, thawed if frozen
1st Pre-oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6th Place the soaked chestnuts, herbs and wine 5floz cover in a pot with vegetable broth and cook until just tender, about 50-60 minutes.
2nd Drain the chestnuts, reserving the liquid.
3rd Melt the butter or margarine in a frying pan and fry the onions until they are lightly browned.
4th Add the mushrooms and continue to simmer 4-5 minutes.
5th Add the chestnuts, the remaining red wine and chestnut enough cooking liquid to
6th Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes to reduce liquid slightly.
7th Stir in the mustard, tamari and black pepper to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes.
8th Check seasoning and consistency and adjust if necessary.
9th Spoon the mixture into a cake form. Roll out the dough on a floured surface and place
top of the filling.
10th Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
Guideline Daily Amount of 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g of salt.