* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* Small piece of butter
* 1 red onion, thinly sliced
* 1 red apple, cored and cut into thin slices
* 1 / 2 tsp powdered sugar
* A few drops of balsamic vinegar (optional)
* 2 thick slices crusty country bread or ciabatta bread
* 100g (4 oz) Cheshire cheese, cut into slices (do not worry if they crumble)
* Fresh sprigs of rosemary or thyme
* Freshly ground black pepper
1st Heat Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the butter and onions. Cook over a medium-low heat, stirring often for a few minutes. Add the apple slices and cook until soft.
2nd Sprinkle in the sugar and cook until the onion and apple in turn a rich golden brown. Remove from heat and stir in a few drops of balsamic vinegar (if using).
3rd Preheat the grill to high. Toast the slices of country bread or ciabatta bread on one side only. Heap the onion and apple mixture on the untoasted sides.
4th Top with the Cheshire cheese and a sprig or two of rosemary or thyme. With freshly ground black pepper. Toast under the grill for a few moments, until the cheese starts to melt and bubble. Serve immediately.
Guideline Daily Amount of 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g of salt.