* 6tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
* 1 garlic clove
* 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
* 225g/8oz mushrooms, cut into thick slices
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 125g / 4 ½ oz fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
* 85g/3oz crumbled feta cheese
* 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
* Salt and pepper to taste
* Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
* 3 medium eggplants cut into long thin slices
* 2 medium eggs
* 450ml/16 fl oz Greek yoghurt
* Freshly grated nutmeg
* 40g / 1 ½ oz freshly grated Parmesan
1st Preheat oven to 180 ° C (350 ° F, gas mark 4).
2nd Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan and the onion and garlic, then cook until just soft. Tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste, breadcrumbs, feta cheese, bouillon cubes and cook for 10 minutes, then taste and season as needed. Remove from heat, and add basil.
3rd Fry eggplant in remaining oil until they are browned and slightly soft.
4th Lightly grease a 2 liter / 3 ½ pt ovenproof dish and give the base line with one third of the eggplant slices. Add to repeat a layer of tomato mixture and, and then finish with a layer of eggplant.
5th Combine the remaining ingredients (except parmesan), pour on top of the eggplant and spread with a spatula. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and in the oven for approximately 45 minutes until top is golden and the sauce is bubbling around the edges.
Nutrition information per serving
* 572 Calories (kcal)
* Fat 40.7g
* Saturated fatty acids 13.9g
* Sugars 16.4g
* Salt 2.5G
This nutrition information is only a guide and is at 2,000 calories per day. For more information about healthy nutrition, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount of 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g of salt.