* 6 fresh corn with leaves and silky threads removed
* 200g (7 oz) white cabbage, cleaned and finely chopped
* 2 medium onions, peeled and finely diced
* 2 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
* 175g (6 ounces) granulated sugar
* 2 level tbsp flour
* 2 level tsp salt
* 2 tsp mustard powder level
* ½ teaspoon ground turmeric level
* 600ml (1 Pint) distilled Vinegar
1st Cook the corn in boiling salted water for 3 minutes, then drain. With a sharp knife, cut the wheat from the flask.
2nd Mix the corn with the cabbage, onions and peppers.
3rd Blend sugar, flour, salt, mustard and turmeric powder to preserve in a pan, then gradually mix in the vinegar. Heat gently stirring until the sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil.
4th Lower the heat, add the vegetables and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens.
5th Spoon into sterilized jars, cover, seal and label.
Top Tip: Use within 3 months. Serve hot with grilled meat or sausage or cheese.Feature: Kate Moseley. Photos: Chris Oh dear. Props stylist Sue Radcliffe.
Nutrition information per serving
* 18 calories (kcal)
This nutrition information is only a guide and is at 2,000 calories per day. For more information about healthy nutrition, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount of 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g of salt.